Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Things I'm capable of, and those I'm not.


Things I can't do off the top of my head:

1) Multiplication
2) Tell my right from my left
3) Division
4) Addition or subtraction with numbers larger than 5 
5) Not get lost, even in familiar places
6) Math


Things I can do off the top of my head:

1) Answer Star Wars-based trivia questions.
2) Answer Harry Potter-based trivia questions.
3) Answer Hunger Games-based trivia questions.
4) Explain the very real social issues grappled with on Downton Abbey.
5) Make tacos.


I'd rate my usefulness to humanity at about a 4.

7 comments:

  1. I think you are my favorite cousin. do you watch merlin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, you *are* my favorite cousin. I haven't seen Merlin, but I have seen Legend of the Seeker, which is alternately awesome and unintentionally hilarious, and if you haven't seen it, you should. I just might give Merlin a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are underrating the value of knowing how to make tacos. On a scale from 1-10, I give you a 9 for value to humanity for the following reasons (as judging is one of my favorite things to do, I went ahead and gave myself the ultimate say on this one):

    1. No one knows their right from left without holding up hands to see which one makes a 'L'. (You may be able to score a 10 if you can correctly tell me if that should be written 'an L' or 'a L').
    2. Basic math skills are important enough to count for 1 point. But, as noted above, that can be made up in grammar skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say "an L" because you pronounce the letter L like it's "el", and the whole a/an thing is about pronunciation more than the actual letter. Hence the annoying "an historian." BOOM: grammared.

      Delete
  4. I completely disagree with point 1. EVERYONE knows their right from left. I guarantee you there is a word for "left" and a different word for "right" in EVERY SINGLE LANGUAGE - especially the languages that don't use the Latin alphabet with the letter "L."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of us have more trouble readily identifying the direction 'right' and 'left'. NO JUDGMENT. (Also, I just spent a few minutes debating whether I should write judgment or judgement. Words are hard.)

    ReplyDelete